Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thinking out loud for the world to hear!

So, the other day I got an instant message from my sister-in-law, Stacy, telling me that she thought she found her birth mother. Yes, Stacy was adopted at birth and for 36 years has wondered where she came from, who were biological parents are, and her ancestors history. Well, I was so excited for her that I told her to call, that I would be there for her no matter what. Well, I couldn't believe it but she eventually did make that phone call, hands shaking, voice cracking...all the anxiousness I can only imagine!! Later that night Stacy calls me at home and as I say hello to her on the other side, all I hear is..."it was her". I knew right then she found her birth mother! How exciting...I had all the questions, all these emotions...I felt so excited for her like it was me!(Wow...sidenote, but Stacy and I have come a long way and to be that excited for someone like it was yourself is truely amazing! Complete selflessness.) She went on to tell me the whole story about her biological parents, where they came from, how they met, her birth! Incredible! Stacy finally had the answers to the questions that she carried with her her entire life. And as if that wasn't enough...two days later I get another call. This time telling me, "it was him". She not only had found her birth mother but now her birth father. This is almost too much to take in all in one week! She shared with me all about him and his family and history! She even shared his myspace with me so that I could see pictures! She looks so much like him and one his youngest daughters is a spitching image of Stacy when she was a girl! I couldn't believe it! I was in shock and I could only imagine how she was feeling...excited, anxious, overwhelmed! Imagine going 36 years of your life without resembling someone, or seeing yourself in someone else(well until she had her own children, of course), but still. Stacy now has some peace of mind and can move on with all this information and start friendships with these people who gave her life. She has two entire families full of half siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles...holy cow! And they all live here in San Diego except for her birth mother. I'm so excited to share this new chapter of her life with her...she is the sister I never had and wanted and it took us a long time to get here, but we're here!! I can't wait to see the years ahead unfold with all this new found information. Am I scared...not at all...she'll always be my sissy!!! xoso

1 comment:

Shan said...

Hey Kim! That is so neat! My Mom's dad found her about 7 years ago! It is so cool to have a whole side of the family that is spread all over the U.S. and we just keep meeting new ones! Good luck to her (and you)! It was great meeting you on Saturday night :)