Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch 1961-2008

For those of you who know me...when I'm inspired by something I want to share it with the world! Last October I first saw Randy Pausch, a professor from Carnegie Mellon University, on Oprah repsrising his last lecture.

Back up...who is Randy Pausch you ask? Randy Pausch is a married father of three, a very popular professor at Carnegie Mellon University—and he is dying. He is suffering from pancreatic cancer, which he says returned after surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Doctors gave him only a few months to live.

So, what is the "Last Lecture"? "There's an academic tradition called the 'Last Lecture.' Hypothetically, if you knew you were going to die and you had one last lecture, what would you say to your students?"

About the lecture in Randy's words...Despite the lecture's wide popularity, Randy says he really only intended his words for his three small children. "I think it's great that so many people have benefited from this lecture, but the truth of the matter is that I didn't really even give it to the 400 people at Carnegie Mellon who came. I only wrote this lecture for three people, and when they're older, they'll watch it," he says.

This was about the time I saw him on Oprah. As I sat and watched him speak of his family,life, work, diagnosis etc...I cried. All I could think was how courageous and strong this man was...this man who knew his fate that lie ahead! How can someone be so strong, so uplifting, so positive...and yet terminally ill? I'm saddened today by the news that Randy Pausch lost his fight with Cancer on Friday, July 25th. However, I am forever changed by him and his "Last Lecture". Please take a few minutes and click on the link below to watch his "Last Lecture". You will be truly inspired by this man.
May God Bless You!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8577255250907450469
(this is the short version seen on Oprah)

http://www.youtube.com/user/carnegiemellonu
(this is the one he gave at the University to his students...1 hour and 16 mins.)

1 comment:

Paul and Lisa said...

So, I have decided to be a Tigger! How about you! Lets start living TODAY and enjoying the little moments that we so much of the time seem to take for granted everyday! Love you!